Saturday, June 12, 2010

An Explanation


As you can see from the blog explanation, I have amassed over 42 unfinished projects. I don't really know how it happened. One day I decided that quilting was my passion and then one very recent day, I realized that I had not actually finished a quilt in over six years! There are some contributing factors, not the least of which is raising five children. Maybe for me quilting is more about the thrill of the hunt than the actual process, or the excitement of seeing a new line of fabric and dreaming up what could be made with them. For whatever reason, I see, I buy, I bring it home and add it to the stash.

Perhaps what is motivating me to do something about this problem is that I no longer have anywhere else to put fabric! I have read articles in magazines with tongue-in-cheek suggestions for how to hide a fabric stash from the rest of the family, but with five children, our house is already stuffed to the gills. I am blessed to have a space of my own-even if it is part of the laundry room, but it is beautifully outfitted for sewing and crafting.

My youngest child will enter kindergarten in the fall, and for the first time in 17 years, I will be home alone. My husband has lovingly forbidden me to take on any new projects or volunteer positions, and our children have seconded his motion. "Yeah, Mom! We want you to stay home and get the laundry done!" They really are very wise and have my best interests at heart. They don't like a frazzled mom anymore than I like being a frazzled mom. They want Momma to be happy and what makes Momma happy is to be knee-deep in fabric with my sewing machine whirring!

About two weeks ago I was hit with the idea to blog about my 42 UnFinished Objects, and it's an idea that just won't go away. I've reached the point of actually creating my first blog despite my belief that I really have nothing interesting to say. However, it might be fun to see if this motivates me enough to start making some progress on those projects and bring that number down to something a little more manageable, like 20 UFO's! If nothing else, maybe someone who wanders onto my blog will be inspired to finish something in their life they started--before it gets out of hand!

No comments :

Post a Comment