Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wit, Wire, Whimsy

Back to those Silver Bella projects!  Here is one of my favorites.  It was a class I didn't think I would enjoy as much as I did.  We were to bring some photographs to use to make three painted and collaged wall hangings.  The process for creating this project was so much fun!  I got to completely let go and just let the ideas flow and allow the project to take shape.

Ideally you use vintage photographs but since I didn't really have any, I used school pictures of my husband and I when we were both about age 8.  Then I used a snapshot of us on our wedding day.  I once heard that anything over 25 years can be considered vintage and we both certainly qualify!





Each photo was glued to a board and we then began painting around the pictures leaving whatever parts of the image we wanted to remain exposed.  The next step is to paint accents around the images allowing the feel of the photos to dictate what sort of details we wanted to add.  The final step really makes the artwork come to life.  Using a pencil, we drew lines around the edges of the photographs and around any details we wanted to enhance.  Next, using your finger, you smudge the lines to create an instant shadow that also gives an aged feel.  A wire was then added for hanging.


I couldn't help it, I had to put a heart around us...

 

I gave myself a little crown...


 
Now I feel a little guilty about this, but when I looked at my husband as an 8 yr. old, I saw how much our youngest child looks like him-freckles and all.  Our youngest is quite the character, and I am quite sure my husband gave his mother a run for her money too!  So naturally, I saw horns...

 

Don't you love the big wide collar on his shirt?  My husband took it well when I showed him his horns.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments :

  1. This came out so great! I love the wedding photo of you two -- so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with Laurie: I love the wedding photo! So fabulous!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete