Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

It's been a busy Valentine's Day:  housecleaning, then the grocery store, then off to school to help with class parties, home again to start cooking a delicious meal of Coq a Vin and chocolate fondue for dessert!  I really know how to bite off more than I can chew which is one reason I have 42 UFO's!

At least I managed to get everyone to bed and the dishes cleaned up-with help from my valentine so now I can finally post photos from my first ever swap!  One of the lovely ladies I met at Silver Bella hosted a 3-inchy Valentine swap.  There were eight of us participating and we were each to make a 3-inch block with a valentine theme.  I made eight blocks and then sent them off to the hostess.  I waited with much anticipation to get back a package with blocks from the other participants.  It was so exciting when it finally arrived!  This is what was inside...


It was so much fun opening this package and seeing what everyone had created!  Jeanelle Ricca, our swap hostess created this block and also made each of us a canvas book to keep our blocks in.  The book is a work of art in itself and I love the dove in wool felt!


This beautiful crazy quilt block was made by Connie Kalina.  My poor photography skills just aren't doing it justice.


This next block is by Laurie Jackson of Indulge Your Shelf.  She used Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for her inspiration-my all time favorite book!!  She did a silhouette of Mr. Darcy with his famous words to Miss Elizabeth Bennett, "My affections and wishes are unchanged."  The most recent movie version staring Kiera Knightly was just on this weekend.  Of course, I watched it!


This fun packet of goodies came from Mollie McCabe.  She generously gave us a vintage valentine, colorful seam binding and some vintage book pages that I think are in German!  Her block has some lovely details.


This block is by Lynn of Create...Breathe.  I love the metal embellishment with the XO stamped in!


Lisa Hajda of The True Vine showcased her amazing embroidery talent.  Once again, my lack of photography skills just doesn't capture all the embroidery detail of this block.


Jami Miller of One Lady Arts did a beautiful ribbon weaving technique.



This is my own block:  The Forgotten Valentine.

Here are all the blocks together. 


I can't wait to get them all stitched into the canvas book.  Some of them are already pinned in place.  It will be a fun take along project!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments :

  1. Swaps are so fun.....take a look at my Valentine Swap on my blog now. Won't you just treasure this sweet book forever? I love to join swaps....especially with Silver Bella sisters!
    XO~Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it will be a great little project to take along and work on! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete