Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Yesterday was a lovely Mother's Day.  My oldest son made it home Saturday night from his first year of college at the University of Arizona.  We have him home now for the summer which I can already feel will go by too fast.  We had brunch on Sunday after church at a lovely country club.  Brunch is one of my favorite things in the world.  Maybe it has something to do with being able to drink mimosas before noon!  When we got home, the kids surprised me with a gift that really touched me.


It's only been in the last few years that I have been doing mixed media work.  My collection of vintage ephemera is quite small, but thanks to the kids, it's growing!  They went to a local antique shop on Saturday and found an old tin recipe box filled with vintage Valentine cards.  Then they found a couple spools of vintage lace and lots of old rusty keys--something I really love!  Then they found a bottle filled with vintage buttons!



Part of the reason the kids went to the antique store is because my "real" present is on back order until July.  The little necklace you see next to the keys is supposed to have five little birthstone charms.  The necklace itself came in, but the charms are back ordered.  It's really very sweet that they still wanted me to have a nice gift.  I would have been perfectly happy if they hadn't ordered the necklace at all, but I had hinted at it when I saw it in a catalog.  It's just so sweet how they payed attention and went out of their way!  Most especially, my teenage daughter initiated the trip to the antique store.  A love for vintage items has become something we share.  In fact, Maddy has been using vintage finds in her artwork at school.


She was one of the only students to use vintage pieces rather than the new store-bought colorful beads most of the girls used.  My husband showed Maddy how to safely cut sheet metal and use the band saw to cut her wood pieces.  I helped her with pointers on proper "glass-shattering techniques."  She really enjoyed that part!  This summer I will have to show her how to do mosaic.  It's so much fun to share a passion for art with children.  When they were small, I didn't probably do enough arts and crafts with them.  I'm happy to know that it's never too late to cultivate a love for arts!

Yesterday was Mother's Day and it was a lovely day.  However 15 years ago today, my third child, Alexander James was born!  He was the cutest baby ever!  Now he towers over me.


Happy Birthday Alex!

2 comments :

  1. What a great Mother's Day you had! I love all those keys!

    Happy Week!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Alex, and I was so happy to hear about your Mother's Day and the kids' surprise for you! I adore Maddy's artwork -- I can see you're not the only artistically gifted one in the family. You will have fun with your new ephemera. How nice that your oldest is back home for the summer. I know you'll have a lovely summer!

    ReplyDelete