Friday, February 8, 2013

The Ceremony for the Broken Needle

Today is Harikuyo, the Ceremony for the Broken Needle.  Ever heard of it?  Me either until a few months ago when I saw a post on Susan Elliot's fabulous blog, Plays with Needles.  So Harikuyo is a Japanese tradition honoring the broken needles used in work during the year.  Susan has a post explaining the tradition.  She even offers a class for making a Japanese Harikuyo inspired needlebook.


Needlebook kit
 If you have followed me long enough, you know I have a hard time resisting a new project!  I have my needlebook kit and hope to get started on it soon. 

In the meantime, Plays with Needles is having a blog hop for the Ceremony of the Broken Needle where participants can share how they are honoring their broken needles.  I couldn't find an actual broken needle, but I did bend one today while working on my Pies and Tarts project.



My second Pies and Tarts block (98 to go!)
The Harikuyo needlebook has a special page for broken needles so until I finish mine, I found another way to keep my broken needles.  I've had this little bottle for a long time intending to finish embellishing it but not really sure what to do with it.  I put some glitter and sparkly beads in it and tied some lace around it.  Don't you think it will make a lovely final resting place for broken and bent needles?
 

Broken Needle Bottle
 Visit Susan's blog and see the amazing needlework she does!  They are truly works of art.  Then visit the other fun blogs with their own tribute to the needles they use to create.

2 comments :

  1. Like you Tamatha, I have more projects than time and family life often calls me away. That being said, my dreams of future projects and the great relationships I hope I am establishing with my family sustain me. Your little bottle is adorable and will the perfect needlekeeper until the time is right for you to make a book.

    May your new needle year be full of blessings and beautiful stitches and may your needles continue to serve you well...xo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I break needles *all* the time! Cute little bottle!

    ReplyDelete