Thursday, January 2, 2014

Europe Part II: Bonjour, Paris!

Bonjour!
Who wants to come along to Paris?!

Last June I went to Europe with a group of friends.  I've already done a post about the Rome portion of the trip, and now finally, Paris!


What a beautiful, amazing, really busy city!

My first view of the Eiffel Tower from the taxi.
My friend Kathy and I arrived late on Sunday afternoon and headed straight for our hotel.
Below is the view from the little balcony of our room.  Later that evening, we got a bottle of wine and sat out on our balcony.  It was a lovely, warm evening.

View from our room at the Hotel Belloy San Germain
Once we checked in, we couldn't wait to hit the street and check out the neighborhood.
Naturally we went straight for cocktails at a little outdoor cafe.


It's not uncommon to come upon a beautiful fountain such as this one...


Notre Dame Cathedral was one of our first stops.  It is truly breathtaking!


There was a horrible grandstand erected outside the cathedral.  I believe it's meant as a viewing area for the outside of the cathedral.  It's a great vantage point for getting photos of the facade, but the grandstand was kind of an eyesore.


The inside is no less amazing...


Just one of the many famous and gorgeous stained glass windows.


We found a little shop selling the macaroons Paris is known for and naturally, I sampled a few.
They are delicious!


Recognize this store?  We have plenty of these French stores in the States.


Here is a view from the river.  I could walk along the river all day!  It's just so gorgeous!


Locks left by lovers at Pont Nuef.  You lock your key to the fence and throw your key into the river.


This was about as close the the Eiffel tower as we got.  Our trip was first and foremost, a pilgrimage.  We made an effort on our last evening after dinner, but were too late to catch a boat.  I was very sad!


One of my favorite parts of the trip was taking the train to Chartes, France about two hours from Paris.
We visited the famous Our Lady of Chartes Cathedral.


I couldn't take my eyes off the view from the train.


Can you believe this is a real house?


The city of Chartes is simply charming.  It was like being in a fairy tale.



This was one of the best meals I had while in France.  Surprisingly, good food was not easy to come by in Paris.  We were in touristy areas so the food reflected that.  The meal we had at this little village Brasserie was delicious with greens that must have been picked that very morning from the owner's garden!



This window display is so charming.  It made me want to purchase a traveling easel with the hat and all so I could sit by the river and paint!


Another beautiful stained glass window from Sainte. Chapelle.

An outdoor flea market
I still feel like I have to pinch myself when I think that I actually made it to France!  It was so worth the long flight and any little inconveniences.  I hope if you ever have the chance, you take it!!  You won't regret it!
Au revoir!

2 comments :

  1. That was quite a trip, how wonderful for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tammy, all the photos were fabulous but that little Charles town and then that last photo of the market made me start dreaming of my next trip to Paris! Swooning...I'm glad you had the chance to take such a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete