Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Breakfast at Tiffany's Pages




In summer 2012, I was honored to work on a group project with some very talented ladies.
We made a fabric book based on the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's.
I am a HUGE Audrey Hepburn fan so naturally, this was a fun project for me.  The hardest part was narrowing down all the inspiration: Tiffany blue, diamonds!, sleek black dresses, kitty cats...






In the end, I went with a theme of Holly's apartment.  When I was first asked to do the project, I read Truman Capote's book.  It just seemed that everything happened in Holly's little New York apartment. 

The Brownstone building used in the movie
 During high school, I dreamed of having my own apartment in a big city, having my glamorous career and spending time off having lots of fun with friends.  I never really got to live by myself.  Reality after college was that I would need roommates in order to afford rent anywhere!  Then came marriage, and with five children, it's not likely that I will ever be alone which suits me just fine!


For our fabric book, each of us was to make a page with a front and back.  The first page I made is called "Holly's Crazy Apartment."  Being a quilter, I couldn't resist using a crazy quilt technique.  I was able to do an online crazy quilt class this summer and learned a few new things.  I started with an image of the New York apartment used in filming Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I chose colors that represented Holly's wardrobe, and the springtime scenery of the film.  They are mostly neutrals and greens.  Tiffany Blue was brought in as an accent in beading, ribbons and trims.


A photo of Audrey standing outside her apartment was added along with some pretty buttons and beads.


The finished page was bound with a black grosgrain ribbon.  When I was first asked to participate in this project, I knew I wanted to do something that included "Cat."  He sits above the apartment building which I thought was appropriate since Holly allowed him to roam at will.

 

 For the second page, I went went with the more traditional Tiffany blue color.  My inspiration was the opening scene of the movie when Holly is window shopping outside Tiffany's all decked out in satin and diamonds while eating a croissant and sipping coffee. 


I found images to represent the glamour girl life and ironed them onto a piece of blue satin.


 I used tulle to represent windows with tiny ric-rac trim around each window and then finished it with blue ribbon and a rhinestone.


 After stitching a piece of black ribbon to the outside of each page, I sewed the front and back together and my pages were ready to send off to our swap hostess Laurie Jackson.

The beautifully wrapped package from Laurie containing my very own completed Breakfast at Tiffany's fabric book!
My next post will feature the truly fun part, receiving the finished book!
Tune in for part II of this exciting project!

No comments :

Post a Comment